The Warden of the Witches Chapter 312

Chapter 312: A Bottomless Lower Limit

"Don't say that. Actually, the person truly responsible for summoning you here, putting you into this body, and giving you Divinity was Melissa. Although the idea was mine, from a practical standpoint, she's the benefactor who allowed you to come to this world and start a new life," Mephilia chuckled.

"But this second life, being played with like a toy by gods... I really find it hard to feel grateful," Aiden couldn't help but massage his temples. "Honestly, right now, I just want to lock both of you up in prison."

"Actually wanting to lock up two goddesses? By mortal standards, you're quite the pervert too," Mephilia took the opportunity to tease Aiden.

"Please, can we not make strange associations whenever women and prisons are mentioned?" Aiden suddenly sighed.

"Suddenly so serious. You don't seem to like this joke?" Mephilia sensed Aiden's mood.

"Being joked about like this often, it's hard to like it," Aiden sighed again.

One of his annoyances in this world was that when introducing his job to others, the moment he mentioned being the Warden of Rose Iron Prison, some people would inexplicably show a subtle, "knowing" smile: "Oh, the warden of a women's prison."

That expression, that look, as if "warden of a women's prison" wasn't his job title, but the title of an adult novel he wrote.

"If you could really do such a thing, I might be slightly interested in that kind of play," Mephilia mused.

"Looks like I still underestimated you," Aiden remarked sincerely.

This goddess had no real concept of morality, and her lower limit was bottomlessly deep.

"But if you don't even possess the power of a single Authority, wanting to lock up a Dominator in prison is just wishful thinking," Mephilia's tone suddenly turned serious.

"I just don't want to be manipulated by you people all the time..."

"That also requires the power of an Authority, doesn't it?" Mephilia smiled. "So don't be so resistant towards Melissa. For you right now, she's your biggest support."

"Knowing she's the Dominator of 'Desire,' it's hard for me not to be resistant... Since she has the power to assimilate others, and she was the one who summoned me to this world, does she intend to forcibly turn me into your avatar too?" Aiden narrowed his eyes. "Perhaps, if I walk this path to the end, I'll just end up paving the way for you?"
(TN: 做嫁衣 (Zuò jiàyī) - Lit. 'to make a wedding dress [for someone else]'. Idiom meaning to work hard only for someone else to reap the benefits.)

Melinda once tried to forcibly occupy the Nameless Witch's body. No one could guarantee Melissa wouldn't do something similar to him.

If Melissa assimilated him using her Authority power before he reached his own Authority, he would become a new avatar for the Goddess of Conspiracy. Then, if "he" completed the ascension ritual, the "Goddess of Conspiracy" before him would effectively possess three Authorities—a guaranteed net gain.

Mephilia thought for a rare moment: "Well, that's really hard to say."

"Even you have times when you're unsure?" Aiden was surprised. "Wait, isn't Melissa's way of thinking the same as yours?"

"Precisely because I feel I might or might not do it... I find it difficult to be certain," Mephilia explained. "And although Melissa shares the same thoughts and goals as me, we are ultimately two individuals. There will always be differences in preference for details, and different Authorities also influence the Dominator themselves."

Aiden suddenly didn't know what to say. Listening to a being far more powerful than himself state so frankly, "I might kill you, or I might not, depends on my mood," only made him feel how difficult his life as a transmigrator was.

"Why don't you ask her face-to-face? If it were 'me,' 'I' would probably give a direct, truthful answer," Mephilia suggested. "Since you completed the task she set this time, she should give you a little reward too."

"If she gives an affirmative answer, does that still count as a 'reward'?"

"No need to worry so much. If you can ascend before she makes a move, she won't be able to easily assimilate you either," Mephilia continued to persuade. "What you need to do remains unchanged—ascend to Dominator."

"Forget it. Compared to Melissa, I feel the risk of being killed by that crazy simp of yours is still greater," Aiden sighed deeply.

"No need to worry so much. Breaking the insurance I set isn't that easy. See, hasn't he tried for so many years without finding a way? Not to mention you now possess the Unique Authority of 'Order'..."

"But he also holds the Unique Authority of 'Hatred'," Aiden stated seriously. "The rank of Unique Authorities should be the same, right?"

"Yes. When Unique Authorities clash, they influence each other, but neither can completely suppress the other."

"Then what exactly is the power of the 'Hatred' Unique Authority?" Aiden pressed.

"Even I don't know that. Don't forget, that man usurped it before I could get it," Mephilia replied. "But the power of a Unique Authority is generally similar to the powers of its corresponding Authority."

Meaning, the power of the 'Hatred' Unique Authority is essentially related to 'Revenge,' 'Betrayal,' and 'Sacrifice.'

"Are you worried the 'Hatred' Unique Authority poses a threat to you? Truly dense," Melphilia shook her head. "What you should really be considering is the method he can use to kill you, right?"

Aiden paused, suddenly realizing Mephilia's hint made sense.

Mr. Blood Robe hadn't killed him yet. One thing was certain: the "Hatred" Unique Authority in his hands couldn't break Mephilia's insurance and kill "Aiden Galord."

For Aiden, the most crucial questions were actually: what method could break Mephilia's insurance, and could that method be countered?

"Then..." Aiden wanted to ask more.

But Mephilia cut him off mercilessly: "Alright! Questions end here. If I reveal everything, the game loses its meaning. This is also part of your 'trial'."

"..." Although he wanted to press further, Aiden realized he probably couldn't pry any more information out of her.

"Although you've done well so far... apart from learning divine word initially, your performance has merely been adequate," Mephilia said slowly. "I hope you can bring me more surprises. Go forth and strive... to please me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Brother Can’t Possibly Be a Fallen Magical Girl Chapter 1 Part 1

The Warden of the Witches chapter 114

My Brother Can’t Possibly Be a Fallen Magical Girl Chapter 1 Part 2