"Isn't that reason enough? Some fans I've encountered have done things far more outrageous than this. Susan has to deal with several of my fans trying to sneak into my residence every year..." Sophie said. "Someone even tried digging a tunnel into my house's basement."
"That sounds truly creepy..." Aiden commented, then pressed on, "But please don't change the subject."
"Alright, alright, I'll talk," Sophie raised her hands in helpless surrender. "I specifically entered prison because I ran into some trouble outside, so I'm trying to hide out in prison for a while."
"Trouble?" Aiden frowned. "Be specific."
"Just a common risk for information brokers—knowing something you shouldn't know," Sophie said, drawing a thumb across her neck. "For us, information is a commodity meant to be sold outside. But some people related to certain information prefer that we 'keep our mouths shut'."
"Understood. Keeping quiet is a virtue of the dead," Aiden nodded, comprehending Sophie's meaning. "Because you were targeted, you swapped identities with your maid. To be safe, you hid yourself in prison, letting the maid handle the matter outside?"
"If I'm lucky, she handles things properly, and I can get out safely," Sophie said slowly. "If unlucky... I lose a double."
"This double is even willing to die for you?"
"I can't be certain she's willing, but we at least offered suitable conditions for her to accept," Sophie Carter replied composedly. "Although we both play the role of 'Sophie Carter,' my value is somewhat higher than hers—she knows this very well."
"But you missed one possibility. If the person trying to kill you discovers you two swapped identities..." Aiden raised his hand and pointed at Sophie. "...he'll come to this prison to deal with you. You brought trouble to me! Since your 'Smiling Scales' only trades Authority-related intelligence, I guess the person you provoked... is also a master of divine word, right?"
He clearly realized the trouble Sophie Carter got into could spill onto him at any moment—this star running into prison indeed wasn't that simple!
"If it really comes to that, I believe my idol has ways to handle the situation," Sophie showed a smile utterly devoid of remorse. "After all, you hold the Codex that declares supreme laws."
"So you're using me to ensure your own safety?" Aiden's eyes sharpened.
"Partly, yes."
"I think it's the vast majority!" Aiden corrected. "Then what secret did you actually find out? And who is hunting you?"
"Warden, are you sure you want to know?" Sophie asked back.
"If I know, will I be hunted too?"
"Surely you don't think your mouth is more reliable than a dead person's?"
"I certainly don't want trouble, but the trouble is already inside my prison," Aiden stared intently at Sophie. "I think it's better to understand the trouble I might encounter."
"You're willing to protect me? I really didn't misjudge you," Sophie smiled.
"It's just because of work. I can't just let people enter my prison to kill someone," Aiden replied with a dark face.
Sophie Carter might not have revealed everything, but since the Codex forbade lying, what she had said was likely all true. Sophie was indeed being hunted by someone possessing Authority power and came to this prison seeking refuge.
If Aiden wanted to use the Codex Anomos to restrict the opponent's possessed powers, he first had to know the details of those powers.
"Well..." Sophie thought for a moment. "Allow me to consider the price of the information first..."
"You're planning to charge for this too!?" Aiden was astonished.
"I am an information broker, originally," Sophie spread her hands.
"You want to use me to ensure your personal safety, yet refuse to tell me the necessary information? Are you trying to trade your life for money to put in your coffin?" Aiden completely couldn't understand her approach.
"Some information is worth dying for. Valuable intelligence cannot be easily revealed; that's the basic reserve of an information broker. Besides, I haven't been pushed that far yet. Susan is still playing 'Sophie Carter' perfectly well outside. My entering prison is just a final insurance measure," Sophie smiled at Aiden. "Warden, you needn't be too nervous either. This trouble might not necessarily involve you."
"Blindly optimistic people die the fastest," Aiden retorted. "Then answer me one more question. Is this power to swap existence the only one you possess?"
"Please rest assured, this is currently the only ability I possess. I don't intend to cause trouble in your prison," Sophie saw through Aiden's thoughts.
She finished speaking, raised her glass, and took a large gulp of wine. Under the influence of the first few sips, her face had already started to flush.
"We've talked so much about me, shouldn't we chat a bit about your matters?" Sophie suddenly switched tactics.
"Since you've entered prison as an inmate, you need to understand some rules. One very important rule is: don't speak unless a guard permits you."
Aiden sensed danger—Sophie clearly had some understanding of the Codex Anomos's characteristics. The "Lying is forbidden" rule was effective on both parties. Once certain sensitive questions were asked, even if he remained silent or tried to be evasive, she could still deduce something.
If she asked about certain classified intelligence, like a certain goddess imprisoned beneath their feet...
"Don't say that, let me understand you a bit too," Sophie was already poised to strike. "First question... Mmph!!"
Before Sophie could ask her question, Aiden controlled the Amalgam Golem to cover Sophie's mouth.
"Here, the consequences for breaking rules are severe," Aiden unhurriedly took out the Codex Anomos, lifted his pen, and crossed out the "Lying is forbidden" rule. "The Q&A session ends here for now."
Only then did the Amalgam Golem release Sophie.
"Basically, only I was answering questions! That's not fair!" Sophie, able to speak again, immediately started complaining.
"I was the one who summoned you for questioning," Aiden reminded her.
"Never mind. Chatting with you was quite enjoyable, and I even got such fine wine... not much to complain about," Sophie drained the remaining wine in her glass. "Besides, you're now a potential major client. If you have any intelligence you're interested in..."
Although clearly aware he couldn't afford the prices quoted earlier, Aiden still tentatively posed a question: "Then, have you heard of Mr. Blood Robe from the Blood Moon Coven?"
Comments
Post a Comment