That evening, Core Block.
"So, newcomer, why exactly did you steal from your employer? It was bound to be discovered, right?" The inmate in Cell Seventeen leaned against the bars, questioning the inmate in the adjacent single cell, Number Fifteen.
"Sigh, ever since I was little, I've always prayed to become rich. I've basically worshipped every god I've heard of, hoping one day I'd wake up to find gold or gems by my pillow. But it was all useless."
The new inmate assigned to single Cell Fifteen in the Core Block—Inmate 1562, "Susan Finger"—replied, leaning against the bars.
Aiden had put her in a single cell, so she could only occasionally chat with inmates in nearby cells.
"So you just stole things yourself?"
"No, it's just that one day I suddenly realized, the gods' charity probably doesn't work like that. So I thought I should steal something very expensive, then pray the gods would protect me from getting caught," Sophie Carter, disguised as the maid, sighed deliberately. "But now it seems, still useless."
Her joke drew laughter from the surrounding cells. One inmate wailed while laughing, "Haha... Damn it, stop telling jokes... My broken ribs haven't fully healed, I can't laugh!"
Many inmates involved in the previous Red Shark pirate incident had been severely dealt with and hadn't fully recovered yet.
"You're so eloquent and such a good actress, why don't you perform on stage yourself?" Fei from Cell Thirteen next door also leaned against her bars, joining the conversation. "You could probably make some money, right?"
"Who would support someone with average looks like me?" Sophie sighed. "Actually, I learned a bit of singing and acting from Miss Carter. She even tutored me, saying I had a real talent for performing. I joked with her once, 'If I entered this circle, wouldn't I be competing with you?' And she actually replied, 'With your looks, I'm not worried'."
"Haha, so true!" Fei chuckled. "I remember that singer was indeed very popular. When I ran my business outside, people often requested her specifically as the object of their dreams."
"What!?" Sophie subconsciously raised her voice.
"It's normal. Good face and figure, high fame... If she really entered the trade, the line of men would surely stretch the entire length of Red Light district," Fei didn't notice the newcomer's strange reaction. "Every time I got such a request, I'd raise the price. Anyway, those fans are very willing to pay. If the price is too low, they actually get unhappy, saying it's an insult to their idol."
"Isn't it all an insult?" Sophie felt mixed emotions. "Never mind, if it's just dreaming..."
"That star must rake in a lot of money, right? I remember she bought a mansion in Goldwater Court in the Upper District?" Fei continued the topic.
"Yes, she just bought it... That's where I was caught," Sophie replied.
"You've stayed there, so tell me, how's the house? Actually, I was considering buying one in Goldwater Court before."
"It's quite nice... Huh? You want to buy?" Sophie was a bit surprised. "Forgive my bluntness, do you have that much money?"
"One or two sets are still affordable. Have prices there risen sharply recently?" Fei replied matter-of-factly.
"Not really..." Sophie realized she seemed to have underestimated this prison; she could actually find someone here whose spending level rivaled her own.
...Even if she was a pimp.
"Is there any point for you, a succubus, to buy a mansion?" Carmilla from Cell Ten, diagonally opposite, suddenly interjected. "Anyway, aren't you either pimping outside or eating prison food most of the time?"
"It won't rot if I buy it, and real estate is appreciating right now," Fei retorted.
"True, the housing prices in both Silver City and Iron Black City are showing considerable growth now," Sophie chimed in.
"You, a maid, know about this too?" Fei asked.
"I Often heard Miss Carter mention it..." Sophie smoothly engaged the succubus next door in a conversation about real estate speculation among the wealthy.
Meanwhile, the witch duo in Cell Twelve observed the newcomer in the diagonally opposite room.
"This newcomer is integrating rather quickly, quite eloquent," Priscilla whispered to Dailey. "Is she really just a petty thief?"
"I quietly asked the guards. What they said matches her own account mostly. Just an inmate from the regular blocks, a maid who stole from her master's house. Seems there was some issue with her performance, and the Warden requested her transfer here," Dailey replied.
"So you think that's really it?" Priscilla asked. "Specially vacating a single cell for her could be explained by her being an ordinary person who might get tormented by other inmates..."
"How could that be? Being able to remain so composed after seeing so many strange people, can an ordinary maid have seen such things?" Dailey shook her head. "And look closely, she was put in extra shackles upon entering the Core Block, and the shackles are even painted with an identification color. This shows our Warden values this newcomer greatly. Few even red-level inmates normally wear shackles, right?"
"Mm, honestly, I always feel something's off about this one, but I can't put my finger on it," Priscilla mused.
The two witches exchanged glances, ultimately leaving their respective suspicions unspoken.
From this seemingly ordinary maid, they both sensed a peculiar aura similar, yet completely opposite in nature, to that of a certain old friend of theirs.
Meanwhile, Fei and Sophie were getting along famously.
"You, a maid, actually know about Baiyin Family handbags?" Fei said.
(TN: 白银世家 (Báiyín Shìjiā) - Baiyin Family / Silver Family. Likely a luxury brand name.)
"I managed these luxury goods for Miss Carter. Oh my, I never expected to meet a tycoon like you in prison. Let me work for you after I get out?" Sophie joked with her.
"No way, I'm afraid you'll empty out everything in my mansion."
"Didn't you say this is your fifth time in... That's perfect. If I get caught, I can come in and keep you company."
...
Fei rarely had the chance to chat with others about such topics of wealth. Finding inmates in prison with her level of financial means was basically impossible. As for those noble ladies and rich young misses outside, how could they possibly deign to sit and chat with a succubus pimp?
She suddenly felt she got along extremely well with this newcomer. She even felt now that if necessary, she could spend a little money to protect her.
Just then, the main gate of the Core Block opened.
"Warden's inspection! Everyone to your doors!" Chief Guard Franda's shout came from the direction of the gate.
Comments
Post a Comment