The next morning, Core Block corridor.
Sophie, dressed in a prison uniform, mopped the floor—Aiden had specifically assigned her cleaning duties in areas where one person covered a whole section, separating her from other inmates.
After mopping half the corridor, she rinsed the mop and looked back towards the guard monitoring her from the end of the corridor. "The Warden really does me honor, personally supervising my work?"
The person monitoring her was none other than the prison's highest leader, Warden Aiden. Just moments ago, around the time Sophie started working, Aiden had suddenly come over, told the monitoring guard to handle other duties, and started watching Sophie himself.
"Don't slack off. Work properly," Aiden replied expressionlessly.
"Making the Autonomous Prefecture's popular star scrub floors... this prison certainly has style," Sophie quipped.
"Singer, actress, these are just professions. Being sought after doesn't mean you're truly superior, especially after entering prison... Here, you are nothing but inmates. Frankly, a popular star scrubbing floors isn't as professional as a real cleaner," Aiden replied calmly. "However, you seem quite skilled at this. I thought this kind of chore would be difficult for our big star."
"When my double plays me, sometimes I have to play the double. Since I'm playing a maid, I can't be completely inept at housework, right?" Sophie said while mopping. "Although my skill level is barely passable. Susan's acting is decent, but her singing is nowhere near professional standard. The power of divine word doesn't let us learn each other's skills."
"Speaking of which, your divine word should be teachable, right?" Aiden asked.
The effect of this "Existence" power intrigued Aiden. Replacing oneself with others could be used for espionage as well as self-preservation; it would be a highly versatile power.
Both "Order" and "Existence" were higher Authorities; he could learn the divine word of "Existence."
"Sorry, divine word and Divinity are not for sale. That's our rule," Sophie turned her head to look at Aiden. "Ultimately, the Smiling Scales is an organization that profits from the privileges of gods. The greatest value of privilege lies in rarity. Selling powers might yield huge short-term profits, but in the long run, it carries risks for the organization. Selling intelligence is more practical."
Aiden could understand this rule. Divinity was a finite resource; selling some meant having less. Naturally, it wasn't suitable for long-term business.
As for divine word... although teaching it incurred no extra cost, disseminating the divine word mastered by the organization would decrease its rarity. Simultaneously, it increased the possibility of a competing group emerging with the same resources in the future.
So they only sold intelligence. Divinity doesn't disappear. As long as people in this world pursue the power of Authorities, intelligence related to Authorities will constantly be updated, and there will always be people needing the intelligence they dig up.
And if one day everyone pursuing Authorities vanished, that would be even better for them. The powers they controlled would become true privileges no one else possessed.
"That's truly a pity," Aiden sounded rather regretful. "I find your power quite useful."
"It's not that amazing a power. At the initial stage, it can only replace the 'cognition' of existence, essentially taking someone or something's place in the world. It can't truly change the essence of things," Sophie paused. "So, Warden, you don't need to be so vigilant towards me..."
"How can I not be vigilant? If you replaced me, not only could you swagger out of prison, but you could also directly command all the guards," Aiden narrowed his eyes. "And I guess the cognition of existence affected by this replacement effect isn't limited to people, but includes objects too, right?"
Meaning, if Sophie used her power to replace Aiden's existence, perhaps even the prison's wards, automated facilities, and even the Amalgam Golem loyal to Aiden would all recognize Sophie as Aiden, thereby falling under her control.
This was actually an extremely threatening power to the prison.
"The Codex Anomos in your hands ranks far above me. If I use my power, you can counter me anytime," Sophie stopped her work. "I wouldn't do something so suicidal."
"Even countering you with that thing requires writing on it, which takes time. That's why close monitoring of your every move is necessary," Aiden said.
"In that case, you should just use the Codex Anomos to forbid me from arbitrarily changing shape," Sophie sighed. "Being watched so warily by you, I feel like my time here will be very hard."
"I haven't complained about it being hard, so why are you complaining?" Aiden shrugged. "The Codex Anomos can only hold a limited number of rules. Occupying an available rule slot just to restrict you, wouldn't that be a disadvantage? Why don't you reveal some intelligence I want to know? Perhaps I can relax my supervision on you accordingly."
"That's all priceless intelligence! Warden, are you inducing me to bribe you?" Sophie looked at Aiden.
"An inmate hoping I'll relax her supervision should at least demonstrate cooperation through real actions, right?" Aiden replied, his face unchanging. "You're using this place as a sanctuary; I haven't even asked you for payment yet."
Sophie considered for a moment, then turned back to continue mopping. "Aren't I already helping you work? Besides, giving in too easily isn't the quality of a good information broker."
After several interactions, Aiden found that whenever high-priced intelligence was involved, Sophie wouldn't easily yield.
Either pay an astronomical fee or exchange Mephilia's intelligence—neither was something Aiden was willing to do.
Of course, Aiden actually had a third option: use the rules of the Codex Anomos to force Sophie to speak.
However, the Codex was a double-edged sword. While effective against Sophie, he, as the holder, would also be compelled to speak truthfully. And Sophie possessed some knowledge about the Codex Anomos.
But that didn't mean this plan was entirely without value...
After mopping the entire corridor, Sophie rinsed the mop again and sighed, hands on her hips. "Oh dear, haven't done manual labor in ages. A bit tired."
"Consider it exercise. Two more corridors to wipe, then you can finish," Aiden instructed.
"Warden, surely you don't plan to spend the whole day accompanying me like this?" Sophie looked at Aiden teasingly. "Being accompanied by my idol for a whole day, I'm truly fortunate."
"I have work to do too. Someone else will take over watching you this afternoon," Aiden replied.
That's right. Just... need to swap people.
Comments
Post a Comment