Aiden estimated that given the Smiling Scales' practice of proactively approaching major clients, it was unlikely they hadn't tried contacting the Witch Coven. After all, Abigail wasn't just the Saint of the "Life" Authority; she also held the Unique Authority of "Fertility."
"Smiling Scales?" Abigail uttered dismissively. "Hmph, those flies buzzing around everywhere looking for scraps..."
"I see. Those profiteers might actually have the whereabouts of the Hand of Annihilation then," Qimora nodded in agreement.
"Sounds like... you have a very poor impression of them?" Aiden inquired. "You think they know, yet haven't tried buying the information from them?"
Flies, profiteers... neither sounded complimentary. And Qimora, despite always wanting the location of the Hand of Annihilation, seemed not to have attempted buying related intelligence through the Smiling Scales.
"Your Excellency couldn't possibly have had no contact, right?" Abigail asked. "These flies will swarm over at the slightest scent of blood, looking for a place to land."
"Sounds like I'm a piece of cured salted fish," Aiden remarked. "They did send someone to me, claiming to be my representative... but I don't have a deep understanding of them."
Hearing the Witch Coven's assessment, Aiden felt it necessary to ask about their knowledge of the Smiling Scales.
Most of what Sophie Carter told him were truths bound by the Codex Anomos, but no one could guarantee they weren't partial truths.
"They once sent someone to me too, saying they hoped to meet in person," Abigail said. "I originally intended to kill that person, but he escaped. I sincerely advise Your Excellency to do the same. Some Smiling Scales representatives seem to possess Divinity and Authority powers; you might even make a small profit."
"Won't doing so provoke them?" Aiden asked.
"Rest assured, it won't. This organization has no stance whatsoever," Abigail stated calmly.
"They told me their stance was absolute neutrality."
"Their so-called neutrality doesn't mean they're impartial like a referee in a match. It means they can change their stance at any time, essentially fair-weather friends," Abigail explained. "Think carefully about where their intelligence comes from, and you'll understand."
(TN: 墙头草 (Qiángtóucǎo) - Lit. 'grass on top of a wall [swaying with the wind]'. Idiom for someone who switches allegiance easily, an opportunist or fair-weather friend.)
"Indeed, they did try to dig up intelligence on me," Aiden nodded.
The Smiling Scales proactively sending representatives to contact valued major clients wasn't just for business, but also for intelligence gathering.
Sophie claimed repeatedly she meant him no harm, but in reality, she was also trying to find out if the "Goddess of Conspiracy" worshipped by the Blood Moon Coven was currently related to him.
Certainly, even if they found out this intelligence, Aiden wouldn't lose a piece of flesh. But it would be different if they sold this critical information to those intending harm against him.
"Back then, that Smiling Scales representative also proposed meeting me at my residence," Abigail said faintly. "As a weak woman living alone, I naturally had to eliminate some hidden dangers."
"A weak woman who raises a forest full of magical beasts? Hmm?" Hasbinis quipped.
"Making such a request to you, they certainly have guts. Truly unafraid of death," Aiden commented.
"That representative possessed powers of the 'Void' Authority and had some means of self-preservation," Abigail said slowly. "I suspect he also tried scouting the path into the forest, but being invisible doesn't mean one can find the way within the Sabbat Forest."
"I've also heard some unpleasant rumors," Qimora interjected. "It's said the Smiling Scales sometimes targets relatively weaker Authority power holders, proactively selling their intelligence to those who have a chance of eliminating these holders, then sharing the Divinity and powers together. As for powerful holders, they also dig into their weaknesses... In short, stirring up trouble everywhere to increase their income. Trading or cooperating with them is also indirectly exposing one's own dynamics to them, which they will then sell."
"I guess they must have offended many people this way..." Aiden said.
"Many. That's why their representatives are often killed. But to them, that's probably just the cost of doing this kind of business. They don't care, at most trying to minimize losses as much as possible. As for revenge... if the cost is too high, they simply won't do it," Abigail stated. "This organization has no stance and no regard for dignity, only pursuing profit. I advise Your Excellency not to get too deeply involved with such an organization."
Aiden roughly understood the Witch Coven's view of the Smiling Scales. These self-proclaimed information brokers were actually a group of troublemaking bandits, entirely unsuitable as trading partners. The most rational approach was to keep a respectful distance.
"Thank you for your advice. That you're all so concerned about my safety truly touches me," Aiden spread his hands in thanks.
"After all, Your Excellency is currently our main source of income," Abigail stated calmly.
"Does that mean if I run into some trouble... you'd be willing to lend a hand?" Aiden asked tentatively.
"I'll try my best, but I cannot represent others," Abigail replied.
"No problem for me either," Qimora smiled.
"If it's profitable," Lamia said.
"I..." Vera hesitated. "Depends on the situation."
"Then don't count me in. I'd rather hope to salvage your corpse after you die," only Hasbinis, as always, gave a negative-affinity response.
Aiden thought that at least in terms of stance, the Witch Coven was very likely to be a source of help in overcoming his predicament. Among them, Qimora and Abigail seemed more inclined to support him... If further alliances were needed later, it would be best to focus on these two.
Especially Qimora. If he could help her obtain the Hand of Annihilation, not only would it deprive Mr. Blood Robe of the means to kill him, but there might also be a chance she would help deal with Melissa.
"Speaking of which, Warden," Lamia suddenly initiated a topic. "Do you think the kind of potion I mentioned earlier has potential for making money?"
"Yes, very much so, although my prison can't produce it," Aiden answered. "But if you directly sell the formula to a pharmaceutical company, you should be able to earn enough money to last several lifetimes... I could also consider investing."
"Her potion requires precious magical beast materials as a base, and it also has the side effect of temporarily turning men into beasts," Abigail suddenly interjected. "Is that still acceptable?"
"Uh..." Aiden was momentarily speechless, looking at Lamia with some regret. "Why don't you try researching ordinary medicines with similar effects?"
Comments
Post a Comment