"Even a star seedling like you was almost screened out? Those selection criteria must be really strict," Aiden commented.
"The initial selection criterion was only conversational skill. Singing and acting were cultivated later," Sophie shook her head. "In terms of intelligence conversational skills, I could only be considered mediocre, basically struggling on the edge of the passing line."
"She was also a candidate, not an examiner. How could she help you?"
"Didn't I mention earlier that I underwent secrecy training? That kind of training sometimes involved pairs. Both individuals kept a secret while simultaneously trying to extract information from the other. The secrets kept by both had some relevance, and trying to probe the other carried the risk of leaking one's own secret..." Sophie explained. "For a period, I was paired with Susan. She was somewhat better than me in this aspect."
"She deliberately let you win?" Aiden understood.
"Yes. She made some concessions to me, uncovered my intelligence but didn't reveal it, preventing me from being eliminated," Sophie said.
"Were you two that close back then already?"
"No, we had only recently met at that time."
"Then is she the type of overly nice person who jumps into wells to save people?"
"She said it was doing me a favor. She said she didn't have the ability to strive for first place, only seeking ordinary selection. If she encountered trouble in the future, she hoped I could lend her a hand."
"So she's your benefactor? Selling a favor... quite savvy at long-term investment, just a bit risky," Aiden chuckled. "But if you encounter someone ungrateful, you lose everything."
"At least I'm not. Proves her judgment wasn't bad," Sophie stared seriously at Aiden.
"So you eventually repaid this favor?" Aiden asked.
"Hard to say. Favors like these become increasingly ambiguous the more they are exchanged. I've helped her several times, and she's helped me several times. In the end, no one really keeps track of the score."
"Shouldn't friends be like that?" Aiden said.
"Yes, we are... friends. Information brokers live wearing masks; having friends is almost impossible. Being able to stay together and eventually become partners is already a miracle," Sophie sighed. "So I feel I should do something."
"If you really thought that way, you should have done something from the start. If she also considered you a friend, I guess she must have been very disappointed after you obeyed the organization's arrangements... Alright, I can be more direct. If it were me, I would break ties with such a friend."
"I hope for a chance to explain, but the premise is that you complete my request. No matter how eloquent I am, I can't talk to the dead," Sophie said.
"Fortunately, she's still alive now; otherwise, news of the famous singer's violent death or disappearance would have already made headlines. By the way, how much time do I have? Or perhaps I should ask, when does Mr. Inquisitor plan to make his move?"
"It's quick to get here from Iron Black City, but killing someone while ensuring his own safety... I guess he needs some time to prepare. At least before I entered prison, the organization hadn't detected any signs of his activity in Silver City," Sophie thought for a moment. "But I guess he'll make a move within this week, because next week 'I' will leave Silver City. I guess stalkers don't like chasing people around the world either."
"I don't have time to be a bodyguard for a singer. Need to figure out a plan..." Aiden pondered. "But before that, I need intelligence on the opponent. Surely you won't charge me money for this? However, you didn't approach him as a representative; he wouldn't voluntarily reveal his trump cards to you, right?"
"He's not that stupid, but I probed some peripheral intelligence, then had the organization check... basically confirmed it," Sophie lowered her voice. "That person possesses two divine word incantations. One is the 'Myriad Manifestations' power of the 'Matter' Authority, and the other is the 'Negation' power of the 'Void' Authority."
(TN: “物质”权柄 (“Wùzhì” Quánbǐng) - Matter Authority. “万象”权能 (“Wànxiàng” Quánnéng) - Myriad Manifestations / All Phenomena Power. “架空”权能 (“Jiàkōng” Quánnéng) - Negation / Voiding / Undermining Power.)
"Explain them to me briefly."
"The 'Myriad Manifestations' power controls the reactions and changes of matter. Within the domain, electrical discharge, combustion, low temperatures, synthesis and decomposition, destruction and restoration, can all be manipulated quite precisely. You can understand it as, after using the divine word, he can manipulate most physical phenomena within the domain."
"This sounds very suitable for direct combat. If I stand within his domain, can he instantly electrocute me?" Aiden frowned.
Moreover, this ability was extremely effective against the Amalgam Golem; with bad luck, the Golem might even be taken over by the opponent.
"You should be glad he's still relatively far from the Authority. According to Smiling Scales intelligence, possessing only this one divine word incantation, the domain won't exceed ten meters, and the duration is only about five minutes. If a Saint or Dominator used this power, perhaps even the weather of an entire city could be easily changed."
"At least it's shorter range than a gun," Aiden thought. "Perhaps I can shoot him from outside the domain..."
"That's impossible. Even if he doesn't have time to use the 'Myriad Manifestations' power to decompose the bullet, the 'Negation' power of the 'Void' Authority can eliminate the interference effect of a designated object on other things. If he designates your gun and bullets, the bullets you fire will pass through him like phantoms. If he designates himself, then he becomes invincible, though he also wouldn't be able to interfere with other things then. Fortunately, he should only be able to designate one target for interference."
Aiden realized this was one of the powers Qimora possessed, though this warlock was clearly further from the Authority than Qimora.
"A combination strong in direct combat, integrating offense and defense," Aiden rubbed his brow. "I guess this kind of person wouldn't lack combat experience either. A bit difficult to deal with."
"Don't you have a Unique Authority? Besides, you have an overwhelming advantage in intelligence," Sophie pointed at Aiden.
"That's true..." Aiden also agreed with this statement.
The advantage of intelligence shouldn't be underestimated. His ability to snatch the Codex Anomos from the Red Shark Pirates relied on intelligence suppression—this was also his consistent style. Completely opposite to Mephilia's style of challenging the unknown and seeking excitement, he preferred fighting battles he was confident in winning. To achieve this, intelligence was essential.
"Does that guy have accomplices, or any connections he can cooperate with?" Aiden confirmed, just in case.
"That shouldn't be the case," Sophie said confidently. "After all, his motive for killing me... is rather personal."
"Alright, then I'll go talk to the protection target as soon as possible," Aiden nodded thoughtfully.
"You're going to see Susan?" Sophie paused, surprised.
"I think her cooperation is needed for this matter."
After a moment's silence, Sophie also nodded. "Alright, I hope you can help me explain properly..."
"I will," Aiden looked into Sophie's eyes. "But before that, pay the agreed-upon reward first."
Comments
Post a Comment