"Warden, just agree~," Qimora said in a coquettish tone, even attempting to grab Aiden's arm. "Just need Divinity equivalent to mastering two more initial-stage divine word incantations, and I can advance to become the Saint of the 'Void' Authority. I can help you deal with that kind of opponent single-handedly. Then I'll hand the remains over to you. You won't lose out..."
"Firstly, stop trying to trick me out of Divinity all the time. Even if I don't lose, I don't gain anything either," Aiden quickly scooted his seat slightly further away. "Secondly, don't use that tone with me."
That coquettish tone immediately reminded him of a certain succubus in his cell. Due to Fei constant persistence, Aiden now became alert whenever he heard similar intonations; it had become a conditioned reflex.
"Oh dear, playing hard to get," Qimora sighed, cutting her baked flatbread with a fork.
"Let's be frank. If you faced Joey Lawson alone, what are your chances of winning?" Aiden asked.
Qimora thought for a moment and answered: "Fifty-fifty, maybe. Combat isn't my specialty. He used to be an Inquisitor; ordinary black magic holds no advantage against him."
"But your powers should be able to suppress his, right?" Aiden asked.
"That doesn't mean complete suppression is possible. Don't forget, Warden, mid-to-high tier powers suppressing lower tiers only occurs when effects clash. One power cannot directly nullify another," Qimora replied.
Indeed, Aiden thought. Even the Codex Anomos couldn't directly write rules targeting Authority powers. When he used the Codex to bind Melissa, it didn't completely fail just because she was a Dominator.
The Codex Anomos still affected her, but if its rules involved things achievable by the 'Desire' Authority she fully controlled, it couldn't produce a binding effect.
"Besides, in this mission, I might also need to use my powers to protect someone else," Qimora added. "I don't plan on risking my life for this mission either, so I'll hold back somewhat. A fifty percent win rate is already considered quite high."
Looks like finding the opponent's location first, then attacking together with Qimora is the safer approach, Aiden thought.
"Then, do the 'Myriad Manifestations' and 'Negation' powers have any weaknesses?" he asked, looking at Qimora.
"I don't know much about the 'Myriad Manifestations' power. I also possess the 'Negation' power, but Warden, directly probing my power's weaknesses like this, isn't that a bit too frank?" Qimora took a sip of black coffee. "Didn't you say you wouldn't casually ask a lady her age? Forgotten the lesson so quickly?"
Don't casually ask a lady her age—Aiden had used this analogy before to remind the Grand Witches of the Coven not to pry too deeply into others' secrets.
"If you don't want to say, I won't insist..."
"Even though you could achieve it with your Authority power?" Qimora raised an eyebrow.
"I wouldn't go so far as to strain our relationship over this," Aiden stated frankly.
"How thoughtful. Actually, it's not that I can't tell you..." Qimora smiled. "It's just that before that, I must clarify one thing..."
Just then, the shop owner arrived at the table carrying Aiden's order. "Your meal, sir. Coffee served after the meal?"
"Okay, thank you," Aiden nodded, looking at Qimora. "What do you want to clarify?"
Qimora, disregarding the owner standing nearby, continued: "I want to know, how exactly do you view the relationship between us?"
The owner's expression changed slightly upon hearing this. After placing the food down, he very tactfully retreated quickly, though muttering "tsk tsk tsk tsk" under his breath as he left.
"Hm?" Aiden was also taken aback, wondering if this witch had misunderstood something.
"My meaning is, Warden, recently it seems you're not just trading with me, but also helping me get closer to the Authority, bit by bit. Honestly, after meeting you, my progress towards the Authority has been smoother than in the past decade," Qimora gaze turned serious. "Do you think I hold some value?"
"Are you suspecting I have ulterior motives?" Aiden asked.
"I just believe there's no such thing as a free lunch in this world," Qimora replied.
Aiden couldn't help but chuckle. The other party wasn't the type to get carried away by benefits either. Qimora had sensed his series of actions carried a considerable degree of purpose.
"Alright, I did indeed think about using you," Aiden confessed. "Mr. Blood Robe, whom I've been investigating, is searching for the Hand of Annihilation. I don't want him to obtain that Unique Authority. If it were you, surely you would choose to help me in this matter?"
"Naturally. But just this?" Qimora asked.
"Besides Mr. Blood Robe, I have another... rather troublesome opponent," Aiden stared into Qimora eyes. "Honestly, I am seriously considering borrowing the power of the Witch Coven."
"The Grand Witches in the Coven are basically all starving for Divinity. As long as there's a chance of winning, if you just raise your arm and call, everyone will likely respond," Qimora immediately sensed something. "Could it be... the kind of opponent where numbers cannot bridge the gap?"
"You're very perceptive," Aiden chuckled.
"A Dominator?" Qimora eyes widened slightly.
"It's inconvenient for me to reveal too much right now. I just want to know if I can help you obtain the Unique Authority of 'Void,' would you be willing to lend me a hand?" Aiden asked seriously.
Qimora fell into deep thought. After a long while, she gave her answer: "Before knowing the full picture, it's difficult for me to give an absolutely certain answer. But if you could really help me to that extent, I am not someone who doesn't know how to repay... But the premise is, there must be a chance of winning. Even if I have a good personal relationship with you, I can't possibly die for you."
An answer similar to Abigail's.
Abigail and Qimora were the allies he was most likely to win over now.
But at the same time, Aiden realized the current quasi-alliance relationship he had with the Witch Coven ultimately revolved around the word "profit."
Against Mr. Blood Robe, Abigail had made corresponding promises long ago.
But against an extraordinary opponent like a Dominator, if the odds of winning were slim, they, whose relationship was limited to exchanging benefits, would absolutely not get involved.
Although the Nameless Witch was killed by the Dominator of "Desire," Abigail had also clearly stated she had no intention of avenging her ancestors; she wouldn't risk her life to kill Melissa.
To gain their assistance, not only required equivalent benefits but also raising the odds of winning to the level of "having a chance."
"Alright, I understand," Aiden picked up his utensils. "Then let's continue discussing this 'job' for now."
Comments
Post a Comment